What we’re asking for:
We’re calling on the next federal government to demonstrate its commitment to northern Ontario communities by:
- Making sure the provincial promise to restore the Northlander is kept.
- Restoring the Algoma Central “Bear Train” / “Mask-wa Oo-ta-ban” in partnership with the Missanabie Cree First Nation.
- Restoring daily VIA Rail service and making sure the train runs on time by passing a Passenger Rail Act.
- Preventing the abandonment of the Huron Central Railway from Sudbury to Sault Ste. Marie.
- Working to restore passenger rail service to Thunder Bay along the north shore of Lake Superior.
- Making long-distance train and bus fares tax-free, like urban transit, and providing incentives for bus companies to operate accessible vehicles.